We utilize various qualitative and quantitative research methodologies to investigate teaching and learning topics in medical education. We disseminate our research scholarship, through publications and presentations, to influence medical education globally.
- Stanulis RN & Guenther AR. A Call for Curriculum and Faculty Developers to Attend to Ambitious Teaching in Experiential Curriculum. Medical Science Educator. 2021; 31(1): 223-228. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-020-01162-1
- Voytenko VL, VanOrman BT, Jaarsma RD, Bisho TW, Mavis BE, & Achtyes ED. Getting Involved in Training the Next Generation of Physicians: Examples of Practicing Psychologists in Psychiatry and Family Medicine Residency Programs. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice. Advance online publication. 2021 http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/pro0000346
- Zheng B, Chang C, Lin CH. & Zhang Y. Self-efficacy, academic motivation, and self-regulation: How do they predict academic achievement for medical students? Medical Science Educator. 2021; 31: 125–130. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-020-01143-4
- Chang C, Colón-Berlingeri M, Mavis B, Laird-Fick H, Parker C, Solomon D. Medical Student Progress Examination Performance and its Relationship With Metacognition, Critical Thinking, and Self-Regulated Learning Strategies. Academic Medicine: September 29, 2020 - Volume Publish Ahead of Print - Issue. https://doi.org/gpzs
- Chang C, Gardiner J, Houang R, Yu YL. Comparing multiple statistical software for multiple-indicator, multiple-cause modeling: an application of gender disparity in adult cognitive functioning using MIDUS II dataset. BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2020 Dec;20(1):1-4. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-020-01150-4
- Glick D, Cohen A, Chang C. (Eds.) Early Warning Systems and Targeted Interventions for Student Success in Online Courses. IGI Global, Hershey, Pennsylvania. 2020.
- Guenther AR, Wexler LJ, Brondyk SK, Stanulis RN, Pylman S. Mentor Study Groups as Sites for Mentor Teacher Learning. In: Bernhardt PE, Conway TR, Richardson GM, eds. Engaged Clinical Practice: Preparing Mentor Teachers and University-based Educators to Support Teacher Candidate Learning. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers; 2020:65.
- Laird-Fick HS, Chang C, Wang L, Parker C, Malinowski R, Emery M, Solomon DJ. Assessing the growth in clinical skills using a progress clinical skills examination. PeerJ. 2020 May 1;8:e9091. https://doi.org/gpzt
- Mavis B, Gabbur N, Nelson E, Schroedl C, Shea J, Varpio L. Learn Serve Lead Medical Education submissions: Demystifying the decision process. Academic Medicine. August 4, 2020; Volume Publish Ahead of Print. https://doi.org/gpzv
- Pylman S, Ward A. 12 Tips for effective questioning in medical education. Medical Teacher. 2020 Apr 15;1-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2020.1749583
- Wagner DP, Mavis BE, Sousa AC. Shared Discovery at the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. Academic Medicine. 2020; 95(9 Suppl): S240-S244. https://doi.org/gpzw
- Ward A, Stanulis R. Improving Medical Education Through Targeted Coaching. Medical Science Educator. 2020; 30(3), 1255-1261. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-020-01002-2
- Zheng B, Ward A, Stanulis R. Self-regulated learning in a competency-based and flipped learning environment: learning strategies across achievement levels and years. Medical education online. 2020 Dec;25(1):1686949. https://doi.org/10.1080/10872981.2019.1686949
- Zheng B, Zhang Y. Self-regulated learning: The effect on medical student learning outcomes in a flipped classroom environment. BMC Medical Education. 2020 Dec;20(1):1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-020-02023-6
- Zheng B, Lin CH, Kwon JB. (2020). The impact of learner-, instructor-, and course-level factors on online learning. Computers & Education. 2020 Jun 1;150:103851. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2020.103851
- Mavis B & Farnan JM. Curriculum change: Reflections on what and how we teach. The Association of American Medical Colleges Curriculum in Context commentary series, Washington, D.C. (Sept.); 6:3. Posted September 30, 2019.
- Phillips J, Prunuske J, Fitzpatrick L, Mavis B. The family medicine attitudes questionnaire: A valid instrument to assess student attitudes toward family medicine. Family Medicine. 2019;51(6):493-501. https://doi.org/10.22454/FamMed.2019.957692
- Pylman S, Ward A. When did "teaching" become a taboo word for clinician educators? Medical Teacher. 2019:1-2. https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2019.1620199
*Contact authors for more information
Chang C, Laird-Fick H, Parker C, Solomon DJ. Alternative Reliability Measures for Medical Students’ Skills in Objective Structured Clinical Examinations.
Guenther A, Evert K. Principals’ Roles, Their Influence on Novice Teacher Practice, and Possibilities for Promoting Equity and Justice.
Blalock AE, Ward A. Becoming a woman doctor: Insights from first-year women medical students
Chang C, Laird-Fick H, Parker C, Wexler B, Keyes CW, Solomon DJ. Assessing the impact of clerkships on the growth of clinical knowledge.
Guenther A, Stanulis S. Making Early Clinical Experiences Meaningful for Medical Students.
Pylman S, Guenther A, Riley B, Armstrong K. Clinician-Educators in Learning Communities Develop Through Action Research Projects.
Guenther A, Stanulis S. Teaching with Intent: Making Early Clinical Experiences Meaningful for Medical Students.
Wang L, Laird-Fick H, Parker C, Solomon D. Growth patterns of foundation subject scores in Customized Assessment Services (CAS) exams and their associations with USMLE Step 1 results.
Pylman S, Ward A, Sudhanthar S. The benefit of early clinical experience debriefing sessions for first-year medical student learning.
Colón-Berlingeri M, Wang L, Laird-Fick H, Parker C, Drake E, DeMuth R. Does performance on weekly formative assessments (WFAs) predict performance on progress examinations? [Accepted as a poster]
Parker C, Wagner D, DeMuth R, Colón-Berlingeri M, Chilman-McComb M, Arvidson C, Borgeld M, Emery M, Laird-Fick H, Sousa A. Interprofessional Collaborative Practice Educational Experiences as Foundational Components of a Competency-based Curriculum. [Accepted as an oral presentation]
Parker C, Laird-Fick H, Chang C, Wang L, Malinowski R, Emery M, Solomon DJ. The Generalizability of a Progress Clinical Skills Examination for Assessing the Growth in Clinical Skills. [Accepted as a poster]
Pylman S, Guenther A. Challenges of Ambitious Teaching for Clinician- Educators in Academic Settings. [Accepted as an oral presentation]
Chang C, Laird-Fick H, Parker C, Wang L, Solomon DJ. What do entrustable professional activities (EPAs) measure? Evidence from exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses. [Accepted as a roundtable]
Chang C, Laird-Fick H, Parker C, Wang L, Solomon DJ. Assessing medical students’ clinical performance progress and the relationship with USMLE Step 1 scores. [Accepted as a poster]
Wang L, Laird-Fick H, Chang C, Parker C, Malinowski R, Solomon DJ. Evaluating medical students’ trajectory on progress tests using Markov Chain model. [Accepted as an oral presentation]
Zheng B, Chang C, Lin C-H, Zhang Y. Self-efficacy, academic motivation, and self-regulation: How do they predict academic achievement for medical students? [Accepted as an oral presentation]